Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Great Shakeout

READY FOR THE FUTURE

We're at the beginning of enormous changes which will leave nothing in the realms of publishing and literature untouched. Those who survive and prevail in the new environment will be those who look ahead to see what will happen, then ready for it. The Big Six won't survive in their present form. Big bookstores may be victims as well. What comes after? What can come after? What are the new models?

If you're not thinking about those new models, and working to create them, then you're already behind the curve.

1 comment:

  1. For what it's worth, I agree that everything is blowing up right now and that the full business model that the publishing industry operated on for over a century is in the process of flying out the window. However, the old model is still the best model: writers writing stories and producing works of art and/or entertainment that people want to spend time with. The number of Indie books out there right now that are pure shit is scary. And, to be honest, the number of Indie related websites is heading in that direction.

    My goal six months ago when I finally (FINALLY!) quit my day career to focus solely on writing was to make money as a writer. I'm still working on that and am not stupid. It's a business and it takes time to get a business rolling, but it's a story business. If I don't stay on top of writing the best stuff I possibly can, if I don't stay true to myself, then I'm not going to succeed.

    And yet, after posting a book of short stories and now my first novel to Kindle, I've spent the past three weeks buried in marketing and sales and networking options that are consuming my fucking head like nothing has ever done before. All of which is to say, yeah, things are changing and, yeah, it's important to get out in front of the curve, but what is "in front of the curve?"

    I think it's still writing good stuff that you're proud of, and then figuring out how to build an audience. Trying to wade through all the muck is only possible if you're actually good at not becoming part of the muck. What say other?

    And I'll take my answer off the air...

    ReplyDelete